Saturday, October 19, 2013

Kid Interview: Airplanes, Architects and Apritada


One of the great things about having our business up and running for 5 1/2 years now is that we've been able to watch so many of the babies and toddlers we met years ago transform into kiddos, and often what seems like mini-adults!  Last week, I had the opportunity to sit down and chat with Green Genes' buddy, Nico, who happens to be one of these mini-adult-kiddos. 

At the ripe ol' age of 6, Nico has a fashion style all his own; and of course we love the fact that some of his favorite pieces are from Mini & MaximusMini Rodini , Maxomorra and Imagine Greenwear.

When I arrived at the store to meet Nico, he was there ready and waiting, and eagerly showed me a new airplane acquisition. After some demonstrations of its amazing skills and maneuverability, we settled in for a little chat, Cubebots in hand. 

.

Heather: Did you go to school today?
Nico: Yeah...I got pushed. By a big, mean kid who's not even my friend.

After briefly discussing the bummer part of the day, our conversation quickly turned to trains and airplanes.

H: Have you even been on an airplane?
N: Yeah.
H: Do you remember where you've gone?
N: I've been to San Diego...Paris...
H: Those are both great places.
N: And Montana! And do you know what kind of transportation I took in Germany?
H: A llama?
N: No...a train. A super duper fast train. Like a bullet train. [followed by the sounds of zoom and swoosh and other super duper fast train sounds.]

We took a break so that he could demonstrate train and airplane maneuvers as well as how to properly use a parachute.

H: Do you ever think about what you want to be when you grow up?
N: I think I want to be an architect. So I can be like my dad.
H: Do you want to design things and build things?
N: Yeah, I want to design a house like my dad's going to make.

H: Nico, do you have any pets at home?
N: Yes, a rabbit, named Vivi.
H: Cool! I didn't know you had a rabbit.
[This is where Nico's mom asked " Nico, is Vivi real?"]
N: No.
H: Do you have any favorite animals that you like to see at the zoo?
N: Yeah. (quietly) Vivi. 


H: Here's an easy one; what's your favorite food?
N: Apritada 
H: I don't know what that is. Would you tell me about it?
N: It's like orange rice and orange potatoes and brown pork. I love it. My grandpa makes it. 


I later asked Nico's mom about this tasty sounding dish. She explained that it's a Filipino dish that Nico's grandfather makes. The orange color is from all the tomatoes, and the dish also includes garlic, a bay leaf, and braised pork. 

H: Do you ever cook with your mom and dad?
N: I cook macaroni and cheese.
H: Yum, that's another orange food, isn't it?
N: No, it's yellow. (pause) Do you know how my friend says "yellow?" "Lellow." 

Our conversation turned to superpower options, and he explained that he would have the power to move around things really smoothly, just like his airplane.  Revisiting the topic of trains and airplanes, it was clear that those are his current favorites. However, I knew that Nico also had a soft spot for books so I thought I'd check in there.

H: Do you have any favorite books at home?
N: I have Iggy Peck, Architect

H: What kind of things does he build?
N: He builds the empire tower and he built another tower of chalk. And his teacher says "Iggy Peck, we're not building a tower of chalk. You need to put your head down." And then he pulled out just a little piece of chalk and the whole thing went wweerrrrrrroooopp. And tumbled to the ground.
H: If you were going to build a building, what would you make it out of?
N: Macaroni. Or a rocket ship made of macaroni. [long pause] Am I done?
H: Sure, may I ask you just one more question?
N: Yeah.
H: Is there something you've done that you're really proud of? Or something extra special about you?
N: What's special about me is that...I like jumping into the deep, deep end of the swimming pool.



High fives all around! 
Thanks, Nico, for taking time out of your busy day to sit down and chat with me.













No comments:

Post a Comment