Thursday, May 9, 2013

Maker Interview: Kaz Shiomi of Kukkia


A note about this interview: We thought it would be fun to interview some of the folks whose lovely things grace our shop. We think the people who make our stuff are a big part of what makes the stuff great, and we want to give our customers a chance to get to know them better. We plan on making this a regular feature, so stay tuned!

At Green Genes, while environmental friendliness and safety are our first and most important criteria in choosing what to stock, it’s also crucial that our products meet our design standards; we have always considered it a priority that our products be beautiful and a joy to interact with. Imagine our delight in discovering the super-magical Kukkia in 2011! When we first saw the Machi playset, an open-ended playset with which kids can map out a town and draw in the roads (or ponds, or dino footprints, or…) wherever they choose, we were immediately smitten.

The original Machi playset-- the one that stole our hearts!

Kaz Shiomi is the director of Kukkia. There is something very special about her perspective; she really understands the minds of children and their powers of imagination, and the wonder of special treasures. Kukkia’s gg* and kiko+ toy ranges are designed to encourage creative play and a love for the tactile experience of wooden toys. From the combination of bright colors and natural wood grain, to the charm and whimsy of magnetic mountains and French fry maracas, right down to the minimal, chic packaging, these objects are truly a feast for the senses of children-- and their parents.

Kukkia Toys

Green Genes: When & why did you start this business?

Kaz Shiomi: My grandfather was a carpenter and so as a child I spent a lot of time playing in his workshop. The smell of wood shavings still brings back fond memories. As an adult, I was reminded of this connection when I visited a factory years ago. That's when I decided to start up my own wooden toy business—a sort of homage to my grandfather.

GG: Where do you work?

KS: Kukkia’s head office is based in Osaka Japan, next to a lovely little park called Utsubo. We are very lucky to have a wonderful studio where my pet rabbit Goma is also allowed free range!

Rose garden at Utsubo Park, Osaka city, Japan, by inoue-hiro via Wikipedia


GG: Why do you design for kids? Why design sustainably?

KS: I think I am still a big kid. I love them and want my own very soon. I love the way they look at things in such a clear and unbiased way. Of course we want to make everything as sustainable as possible as I think there is too much waste in the world these days. We hope that wooden toys will last a long time and be passed on to all the family.


GG: What inspires you; where do you get ideas?

KS: I look at my environment and especially nature around me (I love stars and the night sky). I try to think about what makes kids smile and how they play (often totally different to the way we would use items!).


GG: What’s missing from your business?

KS: We are currently looking for someone to do our accounts! I am not a fan of maths or numbers!
I would love to have a business that didn't involve filing or any type of paperwork!



GG: What’s your biggest challenge, & what’s your favorite part of the job?

KS: Trying to discover new and edgy small independent businesses to stock out products, and also the manufacturing process can be long and complicated.
It is all worth it to see kids smile and play with our toys when we hold workshops at our studio, though. ; )


GG: Favorite thing you've made?

KS: I love Tanabata star dominoes because they are so versatile and can be used in many ways.

Tanabato Star Dominoes


GG: Favorite thing at Green Genes that you didn't make?

KS: Kidsonroof Casa Cabana is great, as are the rock crayons.

Kidsonroof's Casa Cabana, Crayon Rocks


GG: Favorite childhood object:

KS: Some wooden roller skates my grandpa made me with leather straps.

GG: Who was your childhood best friend?

KS: Tomoe chan from my kindergarten.

GG: If you had a superpower...?

KS: To make everyone laugh and smile all the time.

GG: If you were an animal...?

KS: A rabbit so I can play with my pet Goma.

GG: If you were a kids' book character...?

KS: It's more from an animation I used to love but I'd would be Jiji from Miyazaki Hayao's “Kiki's Delivery Service”.

Jiji the cat (source)


GG: Three things you’d want with you on a desert island...?

KS: Goma (pet rabbit), piano, and chocolate.








We'd like to thank the lovely Kaz Shiomi for participating, and for her super awesome answers-- we hope you had as much fun reading them as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment