Saturday, June 8, 2013

Maker Interview: Danielle Reiner


Danielle Reiner designs In Stolen Moments, a range of block-printed clothing, home textiles, and art. She also produces a blog under the same name, and is the co-founder of Crafting Connections, a quarterly creative magazine for little ones and their grownups. A mom of two, she lives and works just a hop, skip, and a jump from our shop. When we met for the first time last year, it soon became clear that our shared experience wasn’t just geographical; with similar work-life balance philosophies (particularly for our Heather, at the time a brand-new mom!), friends in common, and a shared love for the creative goldmine (and occasional time suck) of platforms like Pinterest and Instagram, it seemed natural that Danielle and her work would find a home at Green Genes. In GG’s neighborhood, Andersonville, there is a very strong sense of the importance of buying local and supporting small business; so what could be better than having our onesies bike-delivered by the mama who made them? Maybe it’s the shared location, the shared values, the organic way her designs are generated, but there’s something about Danielle’s work that has a sense of familiarity, at the same time as it’s nothing we’ve really seen anywhere else; it just sort of feels like home.

One of our favorites-- a hard one to keep in stock!


Green Genes: When & why did you start this business?

Danielle Reiner: I planned a homebirth with my youngest and before he came I knew I wanted a t-shirt to help announce his unique arrival. I made one and then waited. Very little went as planned with my labor and my little guy didn't end up being born at home. I had the shirt staring at me. My midwife said I should sell it. I listed it on Etsy, it sold within a handful of days and the rest is history.

That was two years ago and in that time I've expanded to include many designs, art prints, hand-dyed linens.

GG: Where do you work?

DR: As my business name suggests, I work in stolen moments from home with my two young boys. I daydream during breakfast, carve while the kids are playing, and print and do other business-y stuff after they go to bed.

Danielle's home studio-- where the magic happens!

GG: Why do you design for kids? Why design sustainably?

DR: I love the challenge of making something that the kids will love and the adults will love to put on them.

GG: What inspires you; where do you get ideas?
Without a doubt, my two little ones. I absolutely love that they consider me a magician of sorts. Both my guys will let me know what they want on a shirt-- lately, dinosaurs!-- and then they'll squeal with delight when they find a new shirt waiting for them.



GG: What’s missing from your business?

DR: Collaboration. Working on my own means I don't get a chance to bounce ideas off of others and collaborate as much as I'd like. I'd really like it if I could find a way to get a little bit more of that into my business.


GG: What’s your biggest challenge, & what’s your favorite part of the job?

DR: Biggest challenge: Trying to decide what the next step is.
Favorite part: That I am always learning. In setting up and building this small business I've gotten to design a website, hone my photography skills, learn new printmaking techniques, learn the ins and outs of ecommerce. I learn something new everyday and I love it.


GG: Favorite thing you've made?

DR: This will change day to day. Right now it is my work with vintage maps. Digging for just the right one is just so inspiring.



GG: Favorite thing at Green Genes that you didn't make?

DR: Heather's sweater dudes!!! Both my little ones have them and they are their bedtime loveys. So, so sweet!

Snuggly Sweater Friends, made by Green Genes' owner, Heather Muenstermann


GG: Favorite childhood object?

DR: My melamine plates. I drew on one each year when I was young. Now my little guys eat on them. It makes my heart swell.

GG: Who was your childhood best friend?

DR: I was an intensely shy and introverted little one. My best friends were always the characters I'd met in books.

GG: If you had a superpower...?

DR: Time travel. Definitely.

GG: If you were an animal...?

DR: Sheep.

GG: If you were a kids' book character...?

DR: Right now it'd have to be Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie. My husband and I read these aloud to our boys - he is Elephant and I am always Piggie.

(Source)


GG: Three things you’d want with you on a desert island...?
DR: Sketchbook and pencils. Elixir of life (coffee, grinder, french press). A library.

Danielle then & now!


Many thanks to Danielle for her great answers! We like a gal who cheats on the desert island question. ;)



Photos in this post courtesy of Danielle Reiner, unless otherwise indicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment